Don’t Dread the Spring! Here’s How To Prevent Sinus Problems This Season
As the weather starts to warm up, many people are dreading the seasonal change because of the onset of spring allergies. Is spring a miserable time of year for you because of sinus problems? It is important that you understand the causes of these health issues so that you can use the right prevention techniques to protect your health.
What Causes Sinus Problems in the Spring?
During this time of year, plants start releasing pollen that causes many people to suffer from hay fever. These tiny grains are released into the air by weeds, trees, and grasses. As you breathe in the microscopic particles, they move into your sinuses and cause an allergic reaction.
The presence of pollen can trigger the immune system. So, the body releases antibodies to attack those allergens. As a result, histamines are released into the bloodstream, leading to itchy eyes, a runny nose, and other allergy symptoms.
Preventing and Treating Seasonal Sinus Issues
The best solution is to prevent seasonal allergies before the symptoms are debilitating. Prevention techniques might include:
- Use a Humidifier: Adding moisture to the air in your home can keep your sinus membranes comfortable. Prevent dry air that causes the mucus to thicken, which can lead to clogs in the sinuses.
- Clear the Nasal Passages: Get rid of the irritants by removing the pollen and other debris from your sinuses. A saline solution can be used to flush the sinuses. Look for a saline spray from the drugstore, or use an irrigation system such as a Neti pot.
- Apply Heat: A warm washcloth can be applied to your face, helping to open the sinuses. Soak the fabric in warm water, then apply it on your face over the affected sinuses. Consider adding a few drops of essential oil and gently inhaling the steam that comes off the warm washcloth.
- Drink More Water: Everyone knows that hydration is an important aspect of health. But, it can be a challenge to get enough water each day. Increase your water consumption to thin mucus, making it easier for the body to get rid of the mucus.
- Invest in a Filter: A good air filter goes a long way to make your home more comfortable. Add a standalone HEPA air filter in your bedroom or office. Or, look at the option to install a whole-house air filtration system in your HVAC system.
- Medical Treatments: If you are still having a hard time finding relief, then it might be time to talk to a doctor about your concerns. Medical professionals can treat the problem using decongestants or surgical methods if needed.
If you feel like you need further treatment, then we invite you to go online to book a consultation with Dr. Arjuna Kuperan.
Dr. Arjuna Kuperan is dedicated to listening and understanding your sinus concerns. At Houston Advance Nose and Sinus, we are dedicated to always providing the most advanced, proven techniques with a personalized treatment option. Dr. Kuperan’s mission is to get every patient to BREATHE BETTER NOW. Contact us at 713-791-0700 if you would like more information about the treatment options that are available.